.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;} <$BlogRSDURL$>

Thursday, February 16, 2006

ResearchBuzz: Kosmix Search Engine Has Three Categories of Search Available:
"I do not like reviewing search engines on the basis of them being "the next Google killer" or whatever. I do like reviewing them on the basis of them doing interesting and useful stuff. And it's in that spirit that I appreciate Kosmix (http://www.kosmix.com/.)

Kosmix is a search engine that clusters results not by topic, but by type of page -- for example blogs, message boards, expert information, etc. At the moment three types of searches are available -- health, travel, and politics. The front page is a plain setup with tabs for the different types of searches.

You may do a direct search or you can explore. I started by exploring for the topic autism. I got the top three results in several different categories of information, starting with "Basic Information" and going through message boards, medical organizations, alternative medicine, etc. I backed up and instead of exploring the topic I did a regular search. In this case you'll see that the topics are on the left side of the page in a list, which I find a lot easier to navigate. And the data types into which they're divided make it easy to quickly go to a certain "flavor" of information. (Like, for example, a list of diabetes-oriented blogs.

Search results do include a cache, which is nice, but don't include information like page size or indexing date, which I miss.

I tried some searches on the other search tabs. The politics search, which is in alpha (the health search is in beta, the travel search is also in alpha) is a bit disappointing because the information is divided up into conservative, liberal, and libertarian, and that's it. No matter what search I tried, I only got those three groups. (Well, not quite always; I did a search for skateboarding and got only three results, which were all in the "conservative" bucket. Heh.) How about divisions for international politics? The travel search was better; there were divisions here including museums, travel guides, travelogues, etc.

Information on submitting your site to Kosmix and its crawler are at http://www.kosmix.com/submit.html. There is a page for "Kosmix Labs" at http://www.kosmix.com/kosmix_labs.html, but it's blank at the moment. Stay tuned.... "

Comments: Post a Comment


Google

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?